Welcome Podcast Listeners of:
Reading with Your Kids
Here is your code for 10% off any of Holly Winter Huppert's books. Click here and see books for sale, then enter the code: read at checkout for a 10% discount on your entire purchase.
(This 10% discount is good for 30 days.)
Reading to your children might be the easiest thing you can do to help pave their road to academic success.
By reading to your children up to the age of 12, and maybe even after that if you both enjoy the process, you are teaching many things.
When you read aloud to your child,
you are teaching/helping your child learn...
* vocabulary in context
* varied vocabulary
* listening comprehension
* a connection between listening/speaking/reading
* that those squiggles on the page have meaning
* a love of being read to helps promote a love of reading which helps to spark an interest in learning how to read
* background knowledge about a variety of things
* new ideas
* increasing attention span -- or the ability to pay attention to one thing for a longer amount of time -- which increases learning potential
* setting up your child to be a life long learner
* problems and solutions and how to empathize by listening to stories